Monday, May 24, 2010

Circus

This afternoon, I took Jorja and Ginny to the Shrine Circus here in town. I only vaguely remember going to a circus once when I was a kid. I think they were probably a bit young - Jorja wasn't too bad, but it was a bit much for Ginny.

First of all, it was at 2:00 in the afternoon, so she is kind of tired at that time (we've been napping her every other day). We got there plenty early, but there was already a big line-up. We ran into someone that Jorja goes to preschool with, and his Dad gave me a free ticket, and preschoolers were free anyway, so the price was right. The line moved fairly quickly into the tent, but then we had to sit. We were about 20 minutes early, and then at about 5 to, they announced they were going to start later because there was still a big line up outside. So they didn't start till 2:15, and by that time, even Jorja was getting pretty antsy. Plus it was smoking hot in there. And kind of stinky. My guess is the elephants.

I thought cotton candy would be a nice treat. Apparently not. Ginny took one bite, and got the most revolted look on her face. I thought she was going to puke. Who knew?

Before the show started, they were offering elephant rides (we didn't go). Watching the elephants circle was entertaining for a bit, but the thrill of watching these lethargic, old elephants walk around in circles wore off far before the show started.

We were talking before it started, and Ginny was asking what kind of animals there were going to be. I had read the program, so I knew there would be dogs, horses and elephants. I told her there would be puppies. "Oh," she said, "What else? Chickens?" No, no chickens. That would have been entertaining though.

It was kind of hard for Ginny to see, and she can only sit still on my lap for so long. In the end, she was just as happy dancing in front of her chair to the music. To make a long story short, we ended up leaving at the intermission. Maybe we'll try again in a few years. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment