Friday, August 5, 2011

The shopper and the entrepreneur

The shopper:
One thing I've noticed over the years is that kids' channels don't have commercials.  Treehouse, Playhouse Disney, PBSkids - all are commercial-free for kids.  That's a good thing.  Today Jorja said she wanted to watch Bugs Bunny and Tweety Bird.  I'm not sure where she discovered them, but I put on Teletoon retro for her.  I soon discovered that there were commercials on this channel.  She was watching today, and called me down - "Come quick Daddy, you've got to see this!  It lets fresh air in your house, has 18 magnets to keep the bugs out and is great for pets too!"  She was watching some commercial for this screen door with a magnetic closure down the middle so as soon as you walked through it, it shut by itself.  And she was really buying into it.  If she was this into a screen door, I can only imagine what it would be like if she was inundated with commercials for toys.  She was a pretty good salesperson too.  I have to admit that if we had a patio door, I may have bee tempted.

The entrepreneur:
A couple of nights ago, the girls were making me 'smoothies'.  They combined their efforts and made me a strawberry smoothie, which Jorja informed me was on sale today.  "Oh really, how much is it?" I asked.  "One dollar," she said proudly and held out her hand.  I paid her the imaginary dollar and drank some of the imaginary smoothie.  Ginny then piped up, "The smoothies are on sale today!"  "Oh really, how much?" I asked again.  "One hundred dollars!" she said and held out her hand.  "I thought they were on sale," I said.  "They are," she replied, "now you have to pay because you already had some."  I guess I couldn't argue with that.  I should have asked the price first.  Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment