Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Jorja's first day of grade one

Today was Jorja's first day of grade one.  We had everything packed up the night before, so we were ready to go this morning.  When she is at the sitter's, she is going to stay at school for lunch, so we thought we would just get into that routine already.  So we packed her lunch, loaded her down with a year's worth of school supplies (okay, I took some) and off we went. 




We found her class room alright, got all her stuff unloaded, and then it was time to say goodbye.  We hugged and Ginny, CeCe and I were off.  When we left the school, a fair bit of emotion came over me.  If I had let myself, I could have cried.  My little girl is in grade one - I was leaving her there all day.  I held myself together mostly because I didn't want Ginny to get upset and I didn't want to look like an idiot in the school grounds.  I knew she would be okay.

When 3:30 rolled around, we were waiting there to pick her up.  She had a pretty good first day, except for the shiner.  Yes, she and another girl collided on the playground at recess and Jorja took the worst of it.  She too must have been holding herself together for the day, because pretty much as soon as she saw me, she started to cry.  It was quite at bump just under her eyebrow, but no real bruising.  By the time she went to bed though, it had some pretty good colour to it.  Accidents happen.

After the initial emotional outburst, we learned that she did have a good day.  Her teacher is great, and I know she will be just fine.  She was pretty wasted after her first full day though.  It really does take a lot our of them.  A friend just told me how she remembered her kids were pretty much zombies from after school until bed time that first year until about Christmas.  I don't think Jorja will be any exception.  Later.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment