Monday, May 23, 2011

Muffins

We went to my parents' place this weekend.  Julie still had to work Friday, so we didn't leave until after supper.  It worked out all right, because travelling after bedtime seems to work fairly well (most of the time, but I'll get to that later).  We ended up getting there around 10:30 at night, and my sister and her family were there as well.  Her boys were asleep in the basement, so we were quietly trying to get the girls down.  I explained to them how they had to be quiet and it was late and time to go back to sleep.  That is when Jorja's mothering instinct kicked into gear.  The two of them can fight and pick at each other pretty good some days, but not when it really matters it seemed.  After I was done my speech, Jorja looked at Ginny and said, "If you need anything in the night Ginny, you just ask me.  Don't stand at the end of the bed and yell for Daddy.  You just ask me, even if I'm sleeping, just wake me up."  She takes her role as the big sister pretty seriously.

We had a good visit over the weekend, but the weather wasn't the greatest.  And the mosquitoes!  Mom told me to bring lots of bug spray because the mosquitoes were bad, but I have never experienced anything like that before.  Ginny seems to have been bit the most.  This evening we even found a welt right on top of her scalp.  We're going through plenty of Afterbite.

We drove home Sunday evening after supper, hoping to cash in on the night driving.  CeCe fell asleep almost immediately, while the other two watched a movie.  Ginny was kind of sitting sideways in her seat, and I just thought she had moved the shoulder strap on her seat belt.  Then after almost an hour in the car, she says she isn't buckled in.  Whoops.  In the process of figuring this out, somehow she banged her forehead on the door.  Then came the deathwail.  Being overtired, realizing her seat belt was off and then this owie was the breaking point.  CeCe woke up from the commotion and for the next three and a half hours never went back to sleep.  The older two eventually nodded off, but not CeCe.  She wasn't really unpleasant until about the last half an hour or so, so it could have been worse.  I guess the moral of the story is that the order of falling asleep is important.  Every time that CeCe is the last asleep, the trip has gone well.

Speaking of CeCe, it was her turn for holiday lockdown this weekend.  It can basically be summed up by this equation:

48 hours + 4 bran muffins + 0 poops = 1 explosive Monday back home

My Mom makes bran muffins that the girls all really like, and CeCe had two each day.  We kept waiting and waiting and waiting but nothing.  We figured for sure she would do it on the ride home, but nothing.  It finally came this morning.  She woke up with a full diaper and never looked back.  Her last time was after her tub right before bed tonight.

Mom actually sent a few of the muffins along home with us, so the girls were having them for breakfast.  Ginny was eating hers and drinking milk and apparently back-washing.  She called Jorja over, "Jorja come look at this!  I've got muffin-milk!"  "Cool," Jorja said, peering into her glass.  "How does it taste?"  "Like milk and muffins," came the response.  Naturally.

I'm working the evening shift at work this week, so hopefully that doesn't through too much of a wrench into the lives of the girls.  Kids do like routine, and they can get rather difficult when it changes.  I guess we'll see.  At least it's a short week.  Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment