Thursday, June 28, 2012

Jorja's last day of Grade 1

This has been a week of some nasty weather.  On Monday evening, the power went out at about 5:00pm (it's a good thing I was BBQing) and didn't come back on until midnight.  It was still fairly nice at our house at five (hence the BBQing), but by sevenish, it was pretty nasty.  Thunder, lightning, hail.  Some of the bigger hail I've seen in a while.
The girls were all a little freaked out and scared, but the worst was Jorja.  Her little imagination must run wild sometimes I think.  We got them all calmed down and to bed, but Tuesday wasn't much better.  Jorja was supposed to go on a field trip to the swimming pool, but apparently they cancel all field trips when there is a tornado watch on.  I'm not really sure why - the pool was indoors, and they let them play outside at school anyway.  Speaking of playing outside, Jorja's class got to play in the spray park which is on the school grounds.  Except Jorja that is.  The poor thing was so worked up about the tornado watch that she didn't want to be outside.  She stayed in with the Grade 2 class and read her book.

I'd like to say the weather was better by Wednesday, but my fence wouldn't agree with you.  Wednesday was the day for wind warnings, and my fence got flattened in the process.  Oh well, what can you do?  It could have been worse - I saw a lot of trees down too. 

I was off work Wednesday, so I drove Jorja for her last day of school.  Here she is right before it began. 

Slightly wind-blown but we made it.  Her day was alright - she had mass in the morning and an assembly in the afternoon.  When it was time to leave at the end of the day, I think the finality of it hit her.  The kids were filing out of the room and the teacher was saying goodbye, some were giving her hugs, some parents were saying thank-you.  All fairly typical until Jorja came along.  She was in tears by the time she got to the door.  She hugged her teacher with the kind of feeling and emotion you see in airports when people are saying goodbye.  Her tears were now flowing in full stream and she was sobbing.  They hugged for a while and her teacher whispered words of encouragement and praise in her ear.  It was all I could do to keep myself together.  We made our way back to the car and headed for home.  I sure hope her love for school and learning continues thoughout her life.  Her report card was no surprise either - she's a rockstar.

I was off work again today, so we went to pick up the pottery from Jorja's party.  It turned out really well - such a cool idea for a party.
This afternoon while CeCe was napping, we took the baby monitor into the backyard and did some gardening.  (Is June 28 too late to plant tomatoes and cucumbers?  I guess we'll see.)  Before we could plant, there was some weeding to do.  I showed the girls what plants to pull and they went at it.  The was not complaining or whining about it at all.  It was just the opposite actually.  They were really into it.  Too into it.  Jorja would pull one, hold it up and exclaim, "Look!  I got the root!"  Not to be outdone, Ginny would do the same, "Look at the root on this one!"

It was nice to see their enthusiam for what most deem a chore.  After a while though, I realized if I was going to wait for the euphoria and reaction after every weed, we were never going to get anything done.  I got out the hoe and took care of the rest.  We got the vegtables planted and even found a couple of earth worms.  The girls weren't squeemish at all about picking them up.  Mind you, they were wearing gloves.  Still impressive I thought. 

I'm home alone with them again tomorrow, and for some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to take them all for haircuts.  Even CeCe.  Well, they're getting pictures taken later in the day, so that's why the haircuts.  Should be interesting to say the least.  Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment