Thursday, June 16, 2011

Carnivores

I've been working nights again this week, which I'm not a huge fan of.  I just took the girls to Dee's house and now I'm getting ready to snooze.  Hopefully.

The other day at supper time, we got on the topic of carnivores and herbivores.  There is a dinosaur show the girls watch that always says what the dinosaurs ate.  Anyway, it came out that carnivores eat meat which comes from animals.  I don't think Jorja ever really made the connection before.  Julie said that we are omnivores because we eat plants and animals.  With a shocked look on her face, Jorja said, "We don't eat animals!"  We then tried to explain to her that chicken does actually come from chickens, fish comes from fish (not the kind in the pet store though), beef comes from cows and pork comes from pigs.  She wasn't quite sure what to make of all that, but didn't ask any more questions, so we left it.  Let that sink in for a bit.  I guess I just always remember butchering chickens as a kid.  I'm not sure she's quite ready for that yet.

While we're on the topic of how things work, the other morning at breakfast Jorja asked me, "Dad, how do babies come out of tummies, because there is no way for them to get out?"  After nearly choking on my cheerios, I was getting ready to formulate some sort of answer.  Luckily, Cece needed to be attended to and I was able to change the subject long enough that we never went back to it.  Maybe I'll wait till Julie's there to answer that one.  Let Jorja try telling her that there is no way out...should be good.

Anyhow, I'm off to bed.  Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment