Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Gymnastics

Our house repairs are being done this week, and yesterday the new carpet went in.  The walls are now painted, just waiting on the baseboards basically.  I'm not sure what it is about an empty freshly-carpeted room, but it seems to bring out the wild side of the girls.  Ginny calls it the 'running carpet.'  Even CeCe was having fun running around this evening.

Then Jorja started doing somersaults.  Now I'm not sure what possessed me, but I too was a bit overcome by the moment and the big, empty room.  I mean, when I was a kid, we would do somersaults from one end of the gym to the other, get up and maybe be a little dizzy.  So there I was, crouched down and ready to go.  I did manage to do one, but when I got up, it felt like I had just been on the Zipper.  I mean, really, what was I thinking?  Hello vertigo!  There are certain things that a middle-aged man just should no longer attempt.  Like handstands.  Yes, I thought I would try one of those too.  I tell you, there is something about a freshly laid carpet.  (maybe it's the fumes from the glue)  Anyway, I successfully completed the handstand much to the awe of my children.  However, I don't recall having the pain in my neck when I was a kid.  I think I seriously compressed some vertebrae.  I was considering having Julie pull on my head just to get them back to where they belong.  Maybe we need one of those inversion tables. 

Hopefully tomorrow the furniture goes back in and the powerful spells of the room are silenced again.  I don't think I can survive much more.  Later.

2 comments:

  1. Hey brother, I am just catching up on some of your posts - too busy at work. This was a funny one!!!! I am still laughing, I can totally picture you doing this!
    your sis - C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, not one of my wisest moments.

    ReplyDelete