Friday, January 10, 2014

Skating, scars and swimming

Last night we started the first skating lessons of the year. It's going to be a long 10 weeks because it's a bit hectic getting there. I pick the girls up from daycare, bring them home and immediately feed them supper. We get ready and as soon as Julie pulls up when she's done work we pile into the car. Then it's off we go. Jorja starts half an hour before the other two and they all end at the same time. We got Jorja ready, skates tied and out onto the ice. 
We watched for about 5 minutes and then thought we should get the other two ready. This was CeCe's first time in skates so it took a bit of time getting ready. They have to wear helmets with face masks now and I tried CeCe's on her before, but didn't leave it on for very long. It took some getting used to not being able it pick her nose through the cage with mitts on. But we got them ready with a couple minutes to spare. Ginny even looks like a hockey player right now. 
They all did really well, but I was amazed at CeCe. I knew just holding her hand walking to the ice that she was going to be steadier than Ginny was her first time. And she was!  She was able to stand up on the ice all by herself. We were shocked. She still needed the walker for the lesson, and I'm pretty sure she's got some big bruises developing but she's going to be just fine. It was still a really long half hour watching her fall over and over. But she kept getting up. She was pretty exhausted by the end, but that's ok. They were all pretty sweaty little creatures. We got them all home, tubbed and they were sleeping by eight. Finally a chance to sit down and breathe.

This morning after Julie left for work and the girls had finished breakfast I had a few minutes to spare before we were off to school. I went to the bathroom. Now, if you have kids or cats, you know this is seldom an overly private experience. I was doing my business and CeCe walked in. 

A little background info:  A few months ago I had a cyst cut off my hip. The doctor let the resident sew it up and it didn't heal well. There were only three stitches, but two of them just came untied and fell out. So now there's a big scar that's pretty dark colored yet. 

Back to today:  upon seeing my scar, CeCe asked if my owie was better now. I said yeah, it didn't hurt anymore. It just doesn't look very nice. She said, 'it isn't red anymore?'  I said no. 'It's purple now?'  I said yeah, it was kind of purple. She said, 'Hmm, that's my favorite color,' and left. It's nice to know she finds some beauty in my disfigurement. 

We got loaded in the car and took the older two girls to school. As we were walking out, holding hands, CeCe looked up at me and said, 'It's just you and me now.'  She says the sweetest things. We headed for her swimming lesson then. She was ready:
I've never gone to swimming lessons on a weekday morning before. We've always put the girls in lessons in the evening. The morning is a different clientele. Nights are full if kids - sea otters, salamanders, whales, swim kids levels of all ages. General chaos. The morning consists of one little class of sea otters doing the hokey pokey and a whole pool full of blueberry blondes aquasizing. Definitely a little different. 

She had a blast though and even put her face in the water. Maybe the third time is the charm for this sea otter level. 

After swimming we made a quick stop at the grocery store and then home and then back to school to pick the girls up for lunch. Apparently skating the night before swimming lessons plays a girls out:
That's kind of how I feel. Later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment