Monday, September 26, 2011

Tough questions

It's been a while since I last wrote.  I guess I'm having a hard time thinking of what to say.  I generally like to keep things fairly light but things haven't been as light lately.  Here are some questions and comments we’ve been dealing with lately:
  • Poppa has an owie on his heart.
  • Why can’t the doctors fix Poppa’s heart? 
  • I’m going to pray for Poppa. 
  • Why did Poppa get ‘the cancer’? 
  • Does the cancer hurt? 
  • Terry Fox died from cancer.  That’s too bad, isn’t it? 
  • I’m going to give some of my money from my piggy bank to ‘the Terry Fox’? 
  • Terry Fox lived in BC. 
  • It looks like Terry Fox beat the Roughriders. 
  • I prayed for Poppa and the doctors who are going to fix him. 
  • It’s a good thing we have two kidneys. 
  • I wrote down my prayer for Poppa at Sunday School.  My teacher helped me spell cancer.
Yes, needless to say, we've been dealing with some things lately that a three year old and a six year old shouldn't have to worry about.  My Dad has a heart condition that because of some other complications, they can't do anything about.  Julie's Dad has recently been diagnosed with kidney cancer.  He's still really early in the diagnosis stage, so we're not sure what the total course of action is there yet.  It's always tough to know how much to tell the kids, but Jorja picks up on everything.  You can think you are talking cryptically without saying any names and she will ask a question that she could only ask if she knew exactly what you were talking about.  So we decided to be open and honest with them.  It's tough, but we think talking lots and answering their questions to the best of our ability and their knowledge is best.  There have been plenty of tears.  Bed time seems to be the toughest.  There always seems to be some new questions after they've had time to lay there for a few minutes and think about things.  All we can do is pray.  Later.   

No comments:

Post a Comment