Monday, April 2, 2012


Just over a week ago, Julie's parents were up for a couple of days.  They went to go home last Saturday when they discovered that their truck had been broken into.  Nothing was taken, but the driver's window was smashed.  Great.  We managed to find someone who cold fix it that day, so they were still able to head home (several hours late and several hundred dollars lighter). 

In the cleaning out some glass to get it to the shop process, I cut my finger.  I didn't think much of it, but it didn't seem to get better.  It was my right index finger, and it was getting worse.  Monday evening, I managed to get a small shard of glass out.  I thought this was the end of my trouble.  Wrong.  By Wednesday night I couldn't take it anymore, so I went to a walk-in clinic to get it looked at.  The doctor froze the end of my finger (I don't recommend this) and then cut it open a bit more to look for more glass.  As he was digging around unsuccessfully, he commented that usually you could hear it when the tweezers hit something.  He wasn't hearing anything.  Needless to say, he didn't find anything.  He put a big bandage on it and sent me on my way.  I was really hoping this was the end of my troubles.  My finger was really sore, and it was getting more and more difficult to play Words With Friends on my iPhone.  I didn't even attempt Angry Birds.  I just don't have the same feeling in my middle finger.  Anyway, it continued to hurt and fester until Sunday morning, when I thought it was going to explode.  And it almost did.  I huge pocket of pus (just the image you wanted eh?) and the glass came out.  It's still tender, but I think I am finally on the road to recovery.  Here's hoping.

The weather here has been kind of hot and cold.  One day it's spring, the next it seems winter is still hanging on.  Here's the girls scaling the last of a mountain one day when I picked them up from daycare:

It just so happened that it was big enough for them both to wipe out and have to change their clothes when they got home.

Saturday was a nice day here, so we spent most of the afternoon in the backyard.  The girls were playing and I was doing a bit of cleaning up and then I decided to take a few shots with my hockey stick.  I can't seem to interest the older two into playing with me, but I may have a hope with CeCe.  I took one shot, and she had this look of awe on her face and then she giggled in delight.  It was like she just saw Wayne Gretzky score the Stanley Cup-winning goal. 
It's nice to still be able to impress your kids once in a while. 

I got all the bikes out and filled the tires so we are now ready to go.  We had a little test spin on Saturday, but that was it.  Ginny wiped out, scraped her hand a bit and then was done.  Jorja made it around the block, but it was kind of painful to watch.  Last year I raised her training wheels a bit so that they don't touch the ground.  She spent the whole time leaning to one side or the other, sometimes so far that her big wheel would lift off the ground and she would spin out.  Could be a fun summer.  Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment